Wednesday, February 27, 2013


A PRAYER FOR LENT 4 OT

Psalm 32



1 Blessed is the one
    whose transgressions are forgiven,
    whose sins are covered.
2 Blessed is the one
    whose sin the Lord does not count against them
    and in whose spirit is no deceit.
3 When I kept silent,
    my bones wasted away
    through my groaning all day long.
4 For day and night
    your hand was heavy on me;
my strength was sapped
    as in the heat of summer.[b]
5 Then I acknowledged my sin to you
    and did not cover up my iniquity.
I said, I will confess
    my transgressions to the Lord.
And you forgave
    the guilt of my sin.


They weigh on us Lord
Our sins
Trespasses
Debts

Sometimes we want to run away
Hide
Bury ourselves in a blanket
of shame

So many times we planned to
do but didn't
Made commitments to you
to neighbors and friends
family and church

We get busy
look to our own schedules
set our priorities
to fit our needs
and forget what we promised

Forgive us loving God


They weigh on us Lord
Our sins
Trespasses
Debts

We mouth the words
of commitment
Look at the homeless
the lonely and hurt
the elderly and lost

But other than an occasional
few dollars for a special offering
or donations to the local
Food pantry
It's mostly words not acts

Forgive us loving God


They weigh on us Lord
Our sins
Trespasses
Debts

We hurt the ones we love
Using them
ignoring them
Taking them for granted
hoping they don't notice

We are always selfish
wanting to meet our needs
so that our families and friends
become appendages
to decorate our lives

Forgive us loving God


They weigh on us Lord
Our sins
Trespasses
Debts

We retreat from
those we love
or want to love
Soothing our fears
before we are wounded

We fight those who
reach out to us
swatting away love extended
Oblivious to spouse and children
parents and friends

Forgive us loving God

Lift our burden of guilt
and free us from our shame
Grant us the courage
to serve your children

May we continually seek
Your forgiveness
so that we may be renewed
for life for you
and for others

Count not our sins against us
Cleanse our spirits and our souls
that we may be redeemed
to give you the glory
thanksgiving and honor

Amen



No comments:

Post a Comment