Monday, November 18, 2013

A PRAYER FOR CHRIST THE KING SUNDAY

A PRAYER FOR CHRIST THE KING SUNDAY

Jeremiah 23:1-6
(NRSV)


1 Woe to the shepherds who destroy and scatter the sheep of my pasture! says the Lord. 2 Therefore thus says the Lord, the God of Israel, concerning the shepherds who shepherd my people: It is you who have scattered my flock, and have driven them away, and you have not attended to them. So I will attend to you for your evil doings, says the Lord. 3 Then I myself will gather the remnant of my flock out of all the lands where I have driven them, and I will bring them back to their fold, and they shall be fruitful and multiply. 4 I will raise up shepherds over them who will shepherd them, and they shall not fear any longer, or be dismayed, nor shall any be missing, says the Lord.


We are sheep
Wandering from hillside to hillside
Looking for pastures to lie in
Dipping into streams for refreshment

We follow shepherds who tend us
Following their voice 
Leading us this way and that
Over the hills and down to the rivers

We pray to feel safe in our pasture
Safe from the wolves who would devour us
Safe from the winds that would destroy us
Safe from the worries that would deter us

O Where
O Where is the Shepherd
The One who can defeat the wolves
and calm the winds and soothe our worries

O Where
O Where is the Shepherd
The One who can lead in green pastures
and beside still waters

It is you
Lord Jesus
You are The One

You are The One who sends the wolves 
on the run to keep us safe

You are The One who stays the winds
and calm us in the storm


You are The One who holds us close
and gives us moments of peace


You are The One who fills our hunger
and quenches our thirst

You are The One
Lord Jesus

We praise you
We thank you
Shepherd and King

Amen





No comments:

Post a Comment