Tuesday, January 7, 2014

BAPTISM OF THE LORD



BAPTISM OF THE LORD

OT. Isaiah 42:5-9

5 Thus says God, the Lord,
    who created the heavens and stretched them out,
    who spread out the earth and what comes from it,
who gives breath to the people upon it
    and spirit to those who walk in it:
6 I am the Lord, I have called you in righteousness,
    I have taken you by the hand and kept you;
I have given you as a covenant to the people,[a]
    a light to the nations,
7     to open the eyes that are blind,
to bring out the prisoners from the dungeon,
    from the prison those who sit in darkness.
8 I am the Lord, that is my name;
    my glory I give to no other,
    nor my praise to idols.
9 See, the former things have come to pass,
    and new things I now declare;
before they spring forth,
    I tell you of them.


Take our hand Precious Lord
Baptize us to be 
your hands and voice
for righteousness and justice

Stretch for our hands to touch 
the blind that they may see
the glory of the dawn
and the smiles of their families

Strengthen our arms to lift 
the lame from their beds
so they may walk and run
the streets and neighborhoods

Embolden our courage for justice
to break the chains of the prisoner
let the captives go free
and the oppressed enjoy liberty

Enrich our voices for peace
to call for the end of war
and the sisterhood and brotherhood 
of all God's people

Take our hand Precious Lord
Baptize us to be your ministers
of love and grace
and heralds of Your Kingdom
now and always

Amen 




NT. Matthew 3:13-17


13 Then Jesus came from Galilee to John at the Jordan, to be baptized by him. 14 John would have prevented him, saying, “I need to be baptized by you, and do you come to me?” 15 But Jesus answered him, “Let it be so now; for it is proper for us in this way to fulfill all righteousness.” Then he consented. 16 And when Jesus had been baptized, just as he came up from the water, suddenly the heavens were opened to him and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and alighting on him. 17 And a voice from heaven said, “This is my Son, the Beloved, with whom I am well pleased.”


We come to the waters
We come to be baptized
We leave hoping
you are pleased with us also

We come to be cleansed
of all our sins
Washed in the blood of the lamb
redeemed and restored

We come to be claimed
by the One who baptizes 
who brings us out of the waters
into faithful discipleship 

We come to be called
your daughters and sons
inheritors of the Kingdom
you create for all who love you

We come to be commissioned
for deeds of love and mercy
spreading the Word 
preaching the Gospel of peace

We come to the waters
We come to be baptized 
in the name of the Father
Son
and Holy Spirit.

Amen 

No comments:

Post a Comment